Thursday, April 16, 2015

Finished mechanical dragonfly and beetle

Hey guys! I've been working on cranking out some insects, and these are the latest. I had a lot of fun making these, and used some really cool techniques I hadn't tried yet. Finding the pieces for these is my favorite part of making these sculptures and it guarantees that each one is completely unique. Some of the materials and parts for these guys are really cool!

First up is this dragonfly. It's got about a 6" wingspan, made of lasercut leather. Eventually, I'll have to do post about the lasercutting process; it's super interesting and I'm sure you all would love to see it.

 My favorite part was the lens / light cover I used for the head, it just happened to be the perfect part.

The tail light was a cool find as well.

I also finished this guy in the last couple days. I found this really cool iridescent wire and with a bit of bending, it makes for a really great beetle carapace. The color coating makes it really difficult to solder, so I had to attach it with thread-gauge brass wire, but I think it turned out really cool.

The jaws were a brass nut, and I even found tiny screws for the eyes.

Hope you all enjoyed this post, look for more to come soon! 

1 comment:

  1. I just bought the beetle along with the green version! They are spectacular!!!!